"He can be my lawyer anytime!" - Mayor Rudy Giuliani (Watch)
Youth Specialist + Organizational Strategist Justice Advocate + Author & SpeakerIn 2006, Jeremy Del Rio (bio) launched Community Solutions Consulting Services after ten years as the founding executive director of Community Solutions, Inc., to advise faith-based and community organizations on issues of youth development, cultural engagement, strategic planning, organizational development, and justice advocacy. This page highlights Jeremy's professional and consulting experience. Email him to schedule a consultaton. Related: Endorsements; Bio.
- Founded/co-founded five organizations and dozens of strategic initiatives since 18 years old.
- Secured million-dollar financings and managed budgets for operations, projects, and events.
- Formulated action plans; developed organizational structures; recruited and cultivated board members, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Advised local and national agencies on coalition building, urban affairs, community relations, new media strategies, engaging youth culture, and at-risk youth development.
- Authored nearly thirty articles since 2001 related to youth culture, education, social justice, leadership development, and faith.
- Delivered hundreds of speeches since age 13 to live audiences up to 90,000 people.
- Spokesperson for regional and national campaigns resulting in dozens of print, radio, and television interviews.
- Served on ten boards and advisory councils for local and national organizations and initiatives.
- Practiced law at a leading New York firm before pursuing full-time public service following 9/11.
CONSULTANCIES20/20 Vision for Schools, New York, NY, 04/07 - present Lead strategist and architect of comprehensive public education reform initiative; forged partnership between The Coalition of Urban Youth Workers and The New York City Leadership Center. Latino Pastoral Action Center, New York, NY 04/07 - present Provide technical assistance, organizational development, and leadership coaching to five New York City youth agencies as part of the Transforming Youth Capacity Building Project. Christ Tabernacle, Glendale, NY 05/08 - present Provide strategic planning, organizational development, and program design for the formation of The Legacy Center as a new 501(c)(3) organization. Metropolitan New York Baptist Association, New York, NY, 05/07-10/07 Developed and implemented strategy to leverage the denominational, Paint the Town short-term missions experience into an ongoing, inter-denominational adopt-a-school initiative. Christian Herald Ministries, New York, NY 06/07-08/07 Facilitated strategic planning for Kids with a Promise regional expansion. World Vision US/Vision Youth, Seattle, WA, 5/06-05/07 Facilitated national social justice initiative with partners Fuller Seminary and Urban Youth Workers Institute, along with grassroots youth development agencies nationwide. Student Venture, New York, NY, 5/06-04/07 Authored cultural, urban, and ministry commentary for New York staff "Playbook." Living Hope Community Church, Los Angeles, CA, 11/06-05/07 Facilitated strategic planning, leadership development, and corporate formation re. church merger, building renovations, and establishment of community development corporation. Urban Youth Workers Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 03/06-present Curriculum writer and national faculty for Reload Training Tour. Greater New York Billy Graham Crusade, New York, NY, 2/05-6/05 Directed youth outreach for final crusade of Dr. Billy Graham's career resulting in 90,000 attendees at the "Concert for the Next Generation" at Flushing Meadows Park. World Vision, New York, NY, 9/01-3/02 Provided community relations for the $6 million American Families Assistance Fund following 9/11. Designed the $1 million Immigrants Assistance Program for under-served immigrant victims of the attacks. American Bible Society, New York, NY, various dates Advised the Ministry Partnerships and Promotions Division regarding coalition building, internet initiatives, and youth product and program strategies. New Hope Fellowship, Brooklyn, NY, various dates Provided legal services for $4 million acquisition and renovation of real property. Formed a faith-based community development corporation on behalf of a local church. Jammin' Against the Darkness, New York, NY, 3/00-8/00 Produced the Championship Living Street Festival at Manhattan's South Street Seaport including appearances by NBA celebrities, basketball tournaments, and live sound stage.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCECommunity Solutions, Inc., New York, NY Co-founder and Executive Director 2/96 - 6/06
+ Co-founded at age 21, with thirteen volunteers ages 14-22, a not-for-profit corporation that cultivates character and competence in at-risk youth. Without start-up money, space, equipment, or paid staff, developed Generation Xcel as CSI's first initiative and built an organization that operates two youth centers in lower Manhattan, conducts leadership retreats upstate, and organizes community service nationwide. Became first executive director after seven years of volunteer service. + Formulated action plans; developed strategy, organizational structure, and budgets; recruited and cultivated board members, staff, donors, sponsors, volunteers, and community partners. + Renovated and opened the 88-STEP Theater in Manhattan's East Village; produced original theatrical presentations, variety shows, film projects, and music. + Supervised the launch of Chain Reaction as a national community service initiative; since 2003, CR has mobilized 500 teens to volunteer over 10,000 hours in New York, Maryland, Texas, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Ohio, Florida, and throughout the Gulf Coast following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. + Overcame wrongful eviction attempt by public housing authority after youth activism and advocacy persuaded then Mayor Rudy Giuliani in 1998.
+ Established grassroots response to 9/11 to provide coordinated clergy support to families affected by the attacks, which grew to include 250 regional ministers and crossed denominational lines. Advocated for the creation of the Clergy Crisis Responders program at the Mayor's Office to provide clergy access to Ground Zero, family assistance centers, and respite areas. Designed and managed online resource database for faith-based 9/11 relief providers. Organized bilingual clergy training and support programs including critical incidence and post traumatic stress training, debriefing sessions, retreat centers, support groups, and more. Helped mobilize a bilingual clergy response to the crash of Flight 587 within one hour of that disaster. + Supervised the administration of the Ground Zero Relief Fund, which provided direct financial assistance and case management for over 60 families, and the NEC Counseling Referal Network. + Produced special events including the 9/11 Anniversary Tribute to Grace and Hope (9/11/2002) at Madison Square Garden, The United Prayer Vigil (9/16/2001) less than one mile from Ground Zero, and others. Participants included Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Governors George Pataki and James McGreevey, Senators Chuck Schumer and Jon Corzine; 9/11 heros and survivors; professional athletes; Grammy and Dove award-wining musical artists; and national religious leaders.
+ Negotiated an unprecedented offer from a leading New York law firm to work as an attorney part-time following law school in order to fulfill prior public service commitments. Practiced in the litigation section; assigned to various matters including patent infringement, securities, and employment cases. Drafted and edited legal memoranda, motions, trial and appellate court documents, and presentation materials. Managed three pro bono clients. Resigned in order to work full-time on 9/11 related relief efforts. + As a clerk, conducted due diligence and legal research; drafted various documents for the corporate, project finance, real estate, and litigation sections. Authored two research memoranda for a U.S. Supreme Court case, and assisted on an asylum case.
BOARDS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Fuller Seminary, Pasadena, CA. Adjunct Professor (since 2008)
- Urban Youth Workers Institute, Los Angeles, CA. National Advisory Council (since 2005)
- National Network of Youth Ministries, San Diego, CA. National Ministry Council (since 2009)
- New York Faith and Justice, New York, NY. Board Member (since 2008)
- Youth Leader University, San Diego, CA. Founding Trustee (since 2009)
- Internet Community Fundraising Foundation, Boston, MA. Founding Board Member (since 2009)
- Greater New York Harvest Crusade, New York, NY. Host Committee (2007 - 2008)
- Community Solutions Inc., Founding Board Member, Chair (1996 - 2007)
- Coalition of Urban Youth Workers, New York, NY. Founding Co-Chair (2003 - 2007)
- Greater New York Billy Graham Crusade, New York, NY. Executive Committee and Youth Committee Co-Chair (2004-2005)
- Alliance Theological Seminary, New York, NY. Adjunct Professor (2005)
- Abounding Grace Ministries, New York, NY. Founding Member, Elder, and Youth Pastor (1992 - 2004)
- Billy Graham Institute for Emerging Evangelists, Asheville, NC. National Advisory Council (2004-2005)
- Mission America's National Leadership Forum, New York, NY. Youth Track Chair (2003)
- The Call NY, New York, NY. Youth Committee Co-Chair (2002)
- Northeast Clergy Group, New York, NY. Board Member (2001 - 2003)
- Tribute to Grace and Hope, New York, NY. Host Committee and Co-Producer (2002)
- Host Committee, Jamminâ€™ Against the Darkness (2000)
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation, New York, NY. Legal Assistant, June 1997 - April 1998
- Christian Inter-fellowship Council @ NYU, New York, NY. Co-founder and Chair, 1993-1995
- Member New York State Bar, 2000
- Licensed Minister, by Abounding Grace Ministries, 2001
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS AND HONORS
- "Legacy Award," Concerts of Prayer Greater New York, September 2005
- "Surfacing Hispanic Leaders," Prism magazine, September 2005
- Named one of "30 emerging voices that will lead the church in the next decade," Charisma magazine, August 2005
- "Youth Worker of the Year," Latino Pastoral Action Center, 2001
- "Citation of Merit," Bronx Borough President, 2001
- "Union Square Award," Fund for the City of New York, 2000